Nobody likes a sad, skinny baby...nobody!

Whether I’m ordering a meal at a restaurant or cooking up something at home, enjoying what I eat brings me immense satisfaction. On the other hand, being disappointed in a meal sends me into tantrum mode.

I expect certain things out of a dining experience. I’m realistic about the standards I hold for each place, from the local taco bar to the five star steak house. What I've decided is that it's about a perfect balance between service, food quality, ambiance and price. That may seem like a lot to juggle, but Houston is a big city with a plethora of restaurants to choose from. There’s no reason to expect anything less than the best.

If you strip my needs down to the bare essentials, you'll find I'm very much like a baby; I love tasty food and I love to be happy. If an experience doesn't generate a sense of fulfillment for those two basic needs...you're gonna hear me cry.

Nobody likes a sad, skinny baby...nobody!

Fat Baby Fave: Mac & Cheese


The Skinny: The Good, The Bad and The Pungent.

The Fat:
A couple of weeks ago, I requested that you tell me your favorite restaurants for Mac & Cheese. I'd like to thank everyone for their contributions. After a lot of cheesy nights and stomach achey mornings I have come up with the following Macaroni & Cheese Summary.

Best Fast Mac: Luby's. While it's a little pricey for the portion(about $2.50 for a 1/3 of a cup) it is heavenly. The noodles are cooked to perfection, not too firm, not too mushy. The traditional cheese sauce was thick, creamy and covered each elbow with equal amounts of pale, orangy goodness. You could tell that they take their Macaroni and Cheese very seriously there. It's a Luby's high note and better than the ones served at Boston Market, KFC and the like.

Best Cheap Cheesy Mac:
This Is It, Soul Food. If you're looking for some basic Mac and Cheese - and a lot of it for pennies (about $2.00 for 2.5 cups)- hit this place. They scoop generous portions on your plate or to-go container and for a fraction of the cost of Luby's. While the noodles can range from perfectly tender to mildly overcooked depending on the hour, you'll get some very basic M&C for a very good price. I probably won't order it again from here, but for die hard traditionalist and lovers of boxed macaroni and cheese...I think this place will satisfy.

Best Fan-C M&C: Max's Wine Dive.
My mouth is watering just thinking about it. Cavatappi(long, spiral,tube pasta)is peppered with truffle shavings and tossed with a blend of fresh Mozzarella & Gruyere. A little Grana Padano cheese gives the typically smooth dish some exciting texture. Sure it runs about $9.00 for a 1.5 cup serving, but I promise you, friends, it is well worth it. Better yet, during happy hour, the same delightfully decadent portion is half price! If you do the math...that's less than the price for plain ole Mac and Cheese at Luby's!

P.S.
I had so much fun trying out all the cool places you suggested, however, I am officially on a Macaroni and Cheese break until further notice. Next up for a Fat Baby Fave? Who knows...I'm open to suggestions.

3 comments:

Carin said...

Thanks! Went to Max's last week- loved it.

Anonymous said...

I would add Sophia Restaurant's Blue Cheese Mac and Reef's Fried Mac & Cheese to the Fancy category. Both are great!

Fat Baby said...

Ah, Reef's Mac & Cheese? Pls Read my reveiw of REEF Below and you'll see why I chose not to include it.